[SVN] Revision 784 (HTML)

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:59:46 UTC 2005

> Well, it looks good on the surface but I don't think anything say that
> the doctype has to be on the first line. or that it can't be split up
> on more lines than is typical. Definitely be good to be able to match
> against the first say 4-5 lines.

maybe better yet, match the first non-empty line?

As far as I know, valid HTML has to have a DOCTYPE delcaration,
otherwise it is left up to the intelligent web browser to guess.
And... I think most people would agree it is a good idea to have the
doctype as your first line, with no blank lines above.  Even if you
want to initialize some script stuff (i.e. PHP) it should go in a
<?php ?> block after the doctype, IMHO.

Especially seeing as all XHTML 1.1