[SVN] Naming the svn diff commands

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Thu Jun 2 17:50:26 UTC 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 10:12 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> Well, they should be title-case.

Indeed, you're right.

> And in Apple's definition of that [1] coordinating conjunctions are
> lowercased. Though I was never taught English grammar, so I don't
> know if “with” is considered a coordinating conjunction.

Your grammar is frequently better than mine! "With" is a preposition,
so it gets capitalized (four letters). (Tiger's dictionary lists the
part of speech at the top of the entry for the word, BTW.)

> I have however ignored this for a lot of items and went with
> sentence casing instead, since in particular snippets do not follow
> the general menu item naming rules very well (i.e. they are not
> actions). This of course has led to much inconsistency (especially
> since I'm only the author of 2% in the repository ;) ). Maybe there
> should be some guidelines wrt naming items. AHIG would work for
> commands.

Yup. Most snippets are special cases, representing bits of libraries
and languages, such that the normal rules don't make sense. I think
HIG should be followed for commands, except when/if there's a
compelling reason to do otherwise for a particular command.

Chris