[SVN] snippets encoding

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Feb 25 16:04:24 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 16:53, cubiq at cubiq.org wrote:

> I found really helpful to have a set of snippets for HTML that
> automatically translate accented and "strange" characters (eg: à [a
> grave]) to its corresponding html entity. So à+TAB -> à
>
> This is essential for european languages. May I add the snippet to the
> repository?

How about instead do a macro e.g. on ctrl-shift-tab that selects the
previous character and uses the “HTML -> As Named Entities” command?
That way you won't need a special snippet per character (but instead a
special key stroke to invoke the expansion).

Though in the future the “Input Pattern” activation method will allow
you to set the activation of such macro to e.g. “[\xA0-\xFF]\t”, which
means an 8 bit character followed by tab, basically giving the same
behavior as if you had a snippet for each 8 bit character.

> What I noted is that the snippet is encoded as UTF-8 and I guess the
> "à" character shouldn't be compatible with UTF-8... The snippets work
> flawlessy, but isn't it semantically incorrect to place those
> characters in the plist? Should we change the encoding?

There should be no problems with this whatsoever :)