[SVN] REQ: commands choosing output

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sun Feb 20 09:44:30 UTC 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 9:55, Chris Thomas wrote:

>> I would like to introduce something that would allow the command to
>> select output, so far I've considered using escape codes [...]
> I agree there's some clutter in that menu, but -- even as much as I
> desire callbacks -- I'd prefer to see a callback method via scripting
> (presumably AppleScript) worked out before this sort of solution is
> implemented. Partly because escape codes do not make scripts more
> readable; partly because you'd be implementing yet another syntax
> inside those brackets, a small one, perhaps, but the temptation to
> implement more over time might be difficult to resist given the
> constant demands from us ungrateful bundle developers; partly because
> this sort of mechanism strikes me as really kludgy, on a purely
> aesthetic level;

I'm going back and forth on the kludgy thing. If instead the command
was to use a script hook to redirect the output, this would get verbose
because it would need to explicitly provide the context (e.g. if it
wants to replace the selection, TM would need to be told which
selection in which buffer, and TM would thus also need to tell the
shell command which buffer it was working on).