[SVN] licenses, redistributing perl

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Sat Feb 19 18:51:02 UTC 2005

At 7:15 PM +0100 2/19/05, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>>1.  Allan notes correctly that I was using HTML::Entities, which I
>>thought was a standard library but was sadly mistaken. The easiest
>>solution was to include the library (it's 16K). [...]
>
>What is wrong with doing the entity substitution inline instead of
>calling encode_entities?

Your version caught <'s, but I was trying to faithfully reproduce the
range of entities, like symbols and accented characters.  Much to my
surprise, on further testing, your simple version preserved these
much better than the encoding-processed version. I guess
HTML::Entities doesn't encode Mac characters (or utf-8?) characters
particularly well.

I reverted to the inline version and made the HTML declare a utf-8 encoding.

- Eric
--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu