[SVN] Re: [TxMt] Beta 4 & bundles

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Feb 1 06:32:03 UTC 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 6:58, Eric Hsu wrote:

> 1. One is tempted to click on the beautiful links in the window. This
> usually freezes the window. E.g. do "man..." on something, e.g.
> "sudo".  A beautiful html man page appears,but when one clicks on
> "BUGS", for example, the window becomes unscrollable and can only be
> closed.

The problem here is twofold, 1) the man links actually do not lead
anywhere useful and 2) when going to a non-existing page with the
web-view, the “freeze” behavior appears.

I'll eventually make this more like a browser, with a navigation bar
(that can be toggled) which should make all this more transparent --
and I'd also like to figure out what the deal is with the links
generated by man/groff, maybe I can somehow generate the content
on-the-fly.

> 2. The HTML validator is very neat (though less practical than using a
> local Tidy?).

Initially I wanted to ship a local validator with TM, but it was 10-15
steps to make it run locally -- I don't know if HTMLtidy points out the
same things as this validator, I don't really do HTML, so this one is
just a nice one-liner (curl + perl using a pipe) to show the
capabilities of this new system. But for those of us who rarely do
HTML, I guess this one is nice to have out-of-the-box rather than
download some other tool.

> I note all the links have been hacked to close on click, which perhaps
> is a workaround for bug #1?

Nah, more me wanting to have it closed when I tested it :)

> I think the window should stick around; for instance I might have a
> number of errors that I want to click-jump to, not just the first,
> considering the upload might take a while...

Yes... I think I also made the PDF LaTeX window close. What I did was
insert onClick="window.close()" in the anchor tag. Feel free to remove
it and check it in.

Btw: I placed a movie of the PDF LaTeX thing on the TM blog! :)

> 3. I can't figure out how to make TM display a PDF file using "txmt:".

As of such you can't. What you can do is run a command from within TM
that has output set to HTML and then let this command redirect the HTML
view to the PDF. You can do that by just using 'echo' to write a
meta-refresh HTML tag that points to the file.

I don't know if I should add a more direct form. As of such, TM doesn't
know that it can display PDF, e.g. it can also display Quicktime, show
PNG's etc. etc. all using the same scheme.

> Also, I instantly crashed TM by 'Showing Web Preview' of a PDF opened
> through "txmt:" (sometimes you have to click on refresh a few times).

I'll try this in a minute, but if you get a crash report (stack dump)
please send it. Although my instinct tells me that it's actually the
WebKit crashing.

> 4. I upgraded my pdflatex so it recognizes your flags (like
> -halt-on-error), but I'm not seeing the PDF output of pdflatex. I once
> got a 'Find your version of Adobe' window, and I picked Adobe Reader
> 7.

You should get the PDF Browser Plugin [1]. If you already have this,
maybe your Adobe plugin interferes with it somehow? I do not have Adobe
nor their plugin, but I do have the PDF Browser Plugin.

[1] http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/