Key equivalent conventions (was: [SVN] r2362 (Latex))

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Dec 4 03:26:20 UTC 2005

On 3/12/2005, at 21:37, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> [...] I'd be more in favor of the cmd- combination, since pressing
> ctrl-shift in an ibook is a pain. Allan, do you have any opinions
> on this, maybe in terms of more global behavior?

It's fine to lose the ctrl-shift requirement for this.

Basically when a bundle item gets assigned a key, it means that this
key can be re-used in other scopes, but it can no longer be used for
built-in stuff.

For this reason it's important that bundle items get their own
“namespace” wrt. modifiers, and the modifier combination won't be the
“best” (i.e. using command), since there is so much bundle stuff,
compared to built-in.

The other reason to standardize on modifiers among bundle items is to
help remember the keys, i.e. if 99% of the items use the same
modifiers, one only need to remember the key, instead of 2^4 modifier
combinations. And with their own modifier namespace, the key (letter)
should generally be logical, since there should be A-Z to pick from.

But when bundle items are cross-bundle (like Run, Documentation for
Word, etc.) or used a lot/un-scoped (i.e. global), the emphasis
should shift toward finding a good key. And “completion” is
definitely something which fit the list of cross-bundle.

That said, I have no idea about a good key for completion. I still
favor ctrl-space. But unfortunately that's now QS's default, due to
Spotlight stepping on cmd-space.

> Where is '\' in european keyboards?

Shift-option 6. And '/' is shift 6.