[SVN] Revision 1615 (PHPCodeCompletion)

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 09:33:44 UTC 2005

On 25 Aug 2005, at 19:54, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> nice work!  Looks like the speed issue is sorted; I can't even
> notice a pause when it completes builtin function names.

Thanks for that, and depending on your system there should not really
be any slowness anywhere. (works speedily on my iMac G5.v1)

> I did notice however that the preference file is under version
> control.  Hmm.  I don't think you want everyone to commit their
> prefs.  Maybe you can set svn ignore on this file and then keep a
> "template" under version control.  Your program could output a copy
> of the template on the first run and then us developers could
> safely edit that copy.

Yeah, the preference system is a HACK (yes, in capital letters ;-) ),
so it's far from ideal, and I'm not sure how we should deal with it
really. Your ideas are probably better than mine.

> Or.. maybe someone has a better idea?

Allan, as usual, gave me some hints about using the OS preference
system for this somehow, but as I am severely technically challenged,
I left it for others to wrestle with ;-)

The key point I was kind of hoping to pass along in my commit message
is this line below.

> On 8/25/05, Mats Persson <mats at imediatec.co.uk> wrote:
>> Anyway, this commit will hopefully end my role as the main PHPCC
>> keeper, and allow me to move onto other things. (RubyCC/RailsCC)

I have switched my humble dev requirements over to Rails more or less
entirely, so I won't really use the PHPCC as much as I used to do
before, so I won't be the right person to carry it from here onwards
I'm afraid.

However, what PHPCC showed me - and hopefully others as well - is/was
that code completion/information in your language does speed up your
programming.

Having moved to Ruby/Rails I am constantly looking for completions
and information about methods etc. That's why I will try to create a
RoRCC bundle as soon as I can.  And if someone works out the
preference stuff for PHPCC, then I will gladly incorporate that into
RoRCC :-)

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -