[SVN] Re: question about Go To Symbol

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Apr 21 19:53:21 UTC 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 21:11, Kumar McMillan wrote:

> OK, got it working (r 634).  Might need to restructure the PHP.plist
> at some point though.

Also, we need a bit of consensus on how to split up functions. I think
there are function name, parameter name, parameter type and parameter
variable name. Only few languages have named parameters.

For obj-c I sort of just modified the existing names to make it
unambiguous, but I'll chnage it iater today to more meaningful names
which other languages can then use as well.

> Here is another inquiry/idea about Go To Symbol ...
> The best thing about Go To File is the incremental search -- to just
> start typing and get the file you want.  Can we have this for Go To
> Symbol as well?

Someone isn't reading the release notes very carefully! ;)

> One idea for implementing this is to add another
> parameter (in addition to showInSymbolList) that corresponds to a
> capture name.  Say, for example: [...]

huh? I'm not sure what this has to do with the incremental filtering.

Or did you mean to give a capture (scope) that the incremental search
(as in ^S) should use, like with the spell checker, which can also be
limited to a scope?

I do plan to add a scope field to the find dialog -- but most of the
time what I actually want is to exclude a scope from my searches (i.e.
comments), so I wasn't sure if I should allow negations/not's in the
scope specifier, or just do a checkmark/popup. Probably the first would
be best (since it could also be used in the theme/bundle editor scopes
then).