[TxMt] Re: Reopening windows in the same desktop after relaunch

Sat May 7 20:59:02 UTC 2016

On 4 Apr 2016, at 10:59, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I often have up to 100 files opened at the same time, spread across a
> number of desktops and I only reboot the OS about once in a month. But
> after every reboot or TM upgrade, I need to sort the windows manually
> again which is a bit annoying.

Currently TextMate has its own code to do session restore and as I do
not know of API to tell what desktop a window is on, or what desktop it
should open on, it is not possible to extend this code to support
multiple desktops.

Apple has introduced window restoration API which TextMate could be
changed to use, however, my tests show that only during a reboot
(without quitting apps first) does it restore windows onto the same
desktop.

So even if TextMate was migrated over to the system API, a normal quit
and relaunch would not restore windows onto the desired desktops, and
this would include upgrading TextMate.

I’m investigating if it would be possible to either terminate or
launch TextMate in such a way so that the system restoration system
would not confine all windows to a single desktop, if I find a way,
there would be more motivation to migrate TextMate to use the system API
(ideally it would use the system API but it’s easier said than done).