[TxMt] [TM2] - Some more UI observations/comments

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:32:56 UTC 2011

1)  I'd like the indication(s) that a file has unsaved changes to be more
visible.
    I think that the first release just indicated this by changing the
'saturation' of the icon in the file browser.  The new beta release seems
to have brought the 'dot' back to the tabs, but it's still hard for to see
with the eyes of someone who has been programming for 40+ years.

   While I'm on the subject of unsaved changes, one of my fears is that
Apple's new approach to versioned files, while it might work well for
things like word processors and spreadsheets and the like will be a
disaster for editors used for programming.  I want to have control over
WHEN changes to a file are visible outside of the editor.  I use things
like guard to automatically do things like running tests when I save a
file, and I don't want the editor (or OS X) deciding when a file should be
saved.

  So I'd like to have TM2 either not do autosaving, or allow it to be
turned off.

2)  I was hoping that TM2 would treat text insertions/replacements as a
whole to be the unit of undo.  (Like TextEdit does).  One of my long term
gripes with TM1 is that I have to hit Cmd-Z ones for EACH keystroke.  I
hope that this is just something that the developer(s) haven't yet gotten
to.

3)  I see that someone pointed out the lack of highlighting the selected
line.  This is one of those things which my old eyes need help with.  I do
notice that the latest beta is highlighting the selected line number(s) in
the gutter, which I might get used to.

Thanks for finally getting Avian out into the light of day!

--
Rick DeNatale

Google+: +Rick DeNatale <https://plus.google.com/102541178931067955550>
Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick