[TxMt] The dreaded Regexp question

Michael Newton miken32 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 17:00:20 UTC 2009

Sorry, I know this isn't particularly on-topic (aside from the fact
that I'm using Textmate!) but I'm not having luck with the search
engines.

I have a bunch of HTML that needs to be converted to XHTML, notably
<input type="text"> needs to be <input type="text"/> which is easy
enough. Problem is, it's PHP so there are things like <input
type="<?php echo $type?>"> which I'm having troubles with. So how can
I create a regular expression that captures the guts of the HTML
brackets, while ignoring any PHP brackets it might come across inside
the HTML?

Thanks in advance.