[TxMt] Re: Distributed model for bundles

Brian Mitchell binary42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 02:00:49 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Fred B <fredb7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Jacob Rus <jacobolus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jeremy Wilkins wrote:
> > > Without wishing to turn this into a which scm is best discussion, Git
> > > isn't the easiest system for non-technical users to learn - it is aimed
> > > at power users. You may end up with a situation where using the version
> > > control is harder then creating the bundle. (..)
> >
> > Git has been improving very rapidly though.  It is vastly easier for
> > normal (non-power-) users than it was a year ago, and I imagine it will
> > be still better in another year.  I don't know if you've tried Git
> > recently; if not you should give it a try.  If you stick to the basics,
> > I'd say it's about as easy as SVN.  But there's of course a lot of extra
> > power there too, if you want it.
> >
> > -Jacob
>
> There has been a lot of hype about Git lately and I don't understand why.
> I'm glad Allan consider Mercurial too, unfortunately some people
> respond "Ok, let's use Git". ;)

I'm surprised you took that as an attack on mercurial as an option
both are fast moving projects and what is true today probably will
change at least a little over the next few months. There are plenty of
reasons Git has "buz" and it isn't a negative thing. Likewise for
Mercurial, I don't see as much here but it is definitely buzzing in
the same sense. In fact, I think those communities seem to be growing
with each other swapping ideas back and forth while pushing things
like performance to a new level.

I don't think any decision would really please everyone but one idea I
did have was the possibility of mirroring between a few different
options using a tool like taylor. It might not solve the issue of
decreased admin effort though... maybe a volunteer system to support
certain gateways from one to another might work?

I do have to say that I am glad to see the option of distributed
bundle management. I've always had issues managing my own private
changes to grammars and such with subversion (I could never get svk
working well). Some of the branching and merging capabilities of some
of these tools will certainly be welcome.

Brian.