[TxMt] Re: POLL: HTML CodeSense?

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 23:15:05 UTC 2007

Paul Collins wrote:
> I think it's a great idea. I think just a few more HTML friendly
> features would bring a lot more people over to Textmate that are
> currently using Dreamweaver or BBedit.
>
> A wishlist I would think of, but not sure if possible:
>
> -  Can it auto close the tag when you hit the closing bracket? It
> would need to be sophisticated enough to know when NOT to close a tag,
> say if you had an IMG for instance.

As mentioned, ⌃> does this now.

> - For the HTML editor, would it be possible to draw up a list of the
> classes in your attached stylesheet when you type CLASS=""? Same goes
> for ID.

yes, it would be possible.

> - Can we make the tab key indent text, instead of ALT + TAB? Might not
> be possible, just worth a check!

What's the benefit?  Just use ⌘] or ⌥⇥

> - I keep whinging about code coloring and I know it's not the end of
> the world, but the ability to target specific tags in your color theme
> would be great!

Yes, this will be possible as soon as someone makes a new HTML grammar.
  Feel free to do it if you have the time.  Otherwise Infin has been
saying he'd do it sometime for the last year… maybe next month will be
the lucky month.  Maybe we should come up with some sort of monetary
bounty thing to encourage people to work on such jobs--if it was worth a
few pizzas, I might take a crack at it. ;)

> - Special Characters, is there any way to go through the document and
> replace or find them all automatically? That would be handy.

Yes, sure.  What exactly do you want it to do?

> - It would be nice to be able to target certain types of files in the
> search and replace.

This won't really be possible until TM 2.0, AFAIK.

> Of course, I have no idea what's out of the scope and what's possible
> for you, so apologies if I am asking too much! I have no idea how to
> do any of this myself either, but I'd love to help with testing if
> it's a help.

Pretty much all your requests are possible… they just take some work to
implement.  Feel free to get started any time. ;)

-Jacob