[TxMt] ctags (or etags) and TextMate

Matthew Gilbert gilbert at voxmea.net
Wed May 17 20:40:08 UTC 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 7:10 PM, Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> On May 16, 2006, at 3:49 PM, Matthew Gilbert wrote:
>> Nope, there is a known issue with Panther though. Boy, I've not a
>> clue. Can you post the md5 of
>> /Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/Source.tmbundle/
>> Support/bin/pytaglib.so. Mine is
>> 2e938aa900ab7a3ae7d544df2a3aa936. Maybe try importing it manually.
>>
>> cd /Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Bundles/Source.tmbundle/
>> Support/bin
>> python
>>
>> Sorry, not sure what else to try. It works fine for me, I have
>> reported success from others as well. _matt
>
> Ah, I found it.
>
> $ which python
> /sw/bin/python
>
> That's from fink. I just did
>
> $ sudo chmod 0 /sw/bin/python*
> $ which python
> /usr/bin/python
>
> and it worked.

What version is in fink? I imagine it's more recent than 2.3? Not
sure why it wouldn't work. Thanks for tracking that down though.

> A sleazy way of doing it would be to keep a stack in a temporary
> file somewhere in the user's home directory and provide shortcuts
> for the next tag, previous position, etc.
>
> I've not seen at the source of your Bundle (and I don't speak
> Python, so it might take me some time to catch up), but what I'm
> talking about would be along the lines of:
>
> - User hits Ctrl-]
> 	find matches in ctag file
> 	Pop TM_CURRENT_WORD, TM_CURRENT_FILE, TM_CURRENT_LINE from file
> 	if popped something,
> 		skip to ctag after the one we popped
> 	else
> 		jump to matching tag
> - User hits Ctrl-[
> 	Pop TM_CURRENT_WORD, TM_CURRENT_FILE, TM_CURRENT_LINE from file
> 	Jump to it
>
> Do you see where I'm going? Do you think that would work?

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I've been thinking about how to keep
state. A temp file is probably the best bet, and I think other
bundles do something similar (like the hotkey bundle). It's on my
todo list, I just don't have much time lately to get to it. _matt