[TxMt] REVISION 985

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Apr 28 05:13:14 UTC 2006

On 27/4/2006, at 17:49, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

>> [NEW] It’s now possible to change the key equivalent used for the
>> bundle items pop-up menu in the status bar. This is done by
>> setting the OakBundleItemsPopUpMenuKeyEquivalent defaults property
>> to the key string. The default is "^\033" (control-Escape). This
>> key does have very low precedence.
>
> How does one find the key string value for a key?

The key string is like with key bindings files, I describe most of it
here [1].

> This program, for ctrl-escape, gave me:
> Unicode:		27 / 0x1b

When using \nnn in the string, it refers to the octal value.

If we convert 27 (decimal) to octal we get:

    % bc <<<'obase=8; 27'
    33

And to hexadecimal, it’s 0x1b:

    % bc <<<'obase=16; 27'
    1B

So that is how the numbers relate, and ^ marks the control modifier
(see the blog posting for the full list).

The value 033/27/0x1B is the code for the escape control character.
See ‘man ascii’ to confirm. This one actually list the ASCII
characters as both octal, deciman, and hexadecimal. I use \033
because I can’t type that character easily, e.g. had I wanted control-
A, I would make it ^a rather than ^\141, but both would work.

> And for F3 gave me:
> Unicode:		63238 / 0xf706
> [...]
> Are any of these numbers the right thing? I'm worried because I am
> not seeing \033 in either of these entries.

Yes, use the hexadecimal number, and prepend it with \U instead of
0x. So the key string for F3 is: '\UF706'.

[1] http://macromates.com/blog/archives/2005/07/05/key-bindings-for-
switchers/