[TxMt] Suggestion

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Nov 16 02:16:57 UTC 2005

On 16/11/2005, at 3.00, Paul Bissex wrote:

>> [...] I strongly recommend only grabbing the one or two extra
>> bundles that the user need.
> I'm curious -- why "strongly"? So regular users run less chance of
> fetching freshly broken bundles?

Sort of, yes -- I often have people report problems because they've
fetched latest bundles which require a newer build of TM than what
they have, or people who have outdated bundles and thus lack
functionality -- so if people only grab the one bundle they need, the
chance of this should be smaller.

In addition, the number of installed bundles do affect startup time
(since it needs to scan all of them before it does syntax highlight),
and to a lesser degree run-time performance, this is mostly when
switching tabs. Basically it needs to scan more bundles for
preferences and such (which isn't cheap), this is cached, but that
cache gets flushed amongst others when switching tabs.

I do of course plan to address this in the future. But not installing
more bundles than needed, is another way to address the problem :)