[TxMt] Re: smart typing in 1.0.2b1

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Oct 25 22:25:32 UTC 2004

On 25. Oct 2004, at 22:38, Eric Hsu wrote:

> Issue 1. Documents with syntax highlighting disabled don't have smart
> typing turned on, regardless of setting. I assume this is a little bug
> and not intended behavior.

The problem is that there are no defined pairs. For example HTML has <
and > as pairs but not ' and ' etc.

So IMHO pairs really need to be explicitly stated. But I'll consider
adding a way to set the default pairs.

> Issue 2.  If I'm typing in the middle of the ()'s, I still have to
> right-arrow over the last ) to get to the rest of the typing.  Am I
> supposed to be able to Tab out of the braces somehow?

Currently there is no such "accelerator" -- what I do is have
cmd-return do "move to end of line and return" and cmd-shift-return do
"move to end of line, insert ;, and return". That way, most of the time
I won't even have to skip over the auto-inserted closers.

> Otherwise, it's not really saving me a keystroke since -> and ) are
> about equally hard for me to hit.

hehe... on a Danish keymap something like } is at option-shift-9, so
definitely easier with right-arrow ;)

> Alpha under OS9 had an interesting implementation of this, where they
> used bullets like • to mark tab stops; then when you hit Tab, you
> knew you were jumping to the next bullet...

Sounds useful -- I'm definitely open for inserting tab stops, since I
can then probably combine smart typing and snippets, and snippets need
visual placeholders as well... but this is currently not on top of my
list though.

Kind regards Allan