[TextMate] Couple little gnats

Phil Aaronson phil at hinkty.com
Mon Oct 18 18:53:30 UTC 2004

On Oct 18, 2004, at 12:35 AM, Jeroen wrote:

> Phil Aaronson wrote:
>> Sure, the output is plain text. I'm there. But TextMate doesn't exist
>> in a vacuum. We all use word processors. Take vim (I'm not a BBEdit
>> user which may be adding to my confusion here), if I fold some text
>> in vim, say ':.,.+5 fo' to fold the next 5 lines under the cursor.
>> Undo ('u') undoes the fold. Its what I've been trained to expect.
>
> You're right, I thought Vim did not put folding on the undo stack, but
> it does indeed.

For the record, in vim, undo also undoes text selection.

> However, I still don't think it should be put on the undo stack,
> simply because it doesn't have anything to do with the text itself.

I'm getting that impression :) Not that this is a big deal, but most
apps I use seem to break it down along command vs. setting line, not
content vs. representation of content. That said a command vs. setting
undo is a little more difficult line to walk with TextMate than a lot
of other apps.

> And word processors != text editors, there's a world of difference
> between them.

Fair enough.

Phil