[TextMate] Love for Textmate, and some thoughts/observations

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Oct 8 14:07:12 UTC 2004

On 8. Oct 2004, at 15:16, Raena Armitage wrote:

> Odd help behaviour: the tooltip that appears when you hover over the
> Commands textarea says that you can use the purple help icon to get a
> full list of TextMate's exported variables, but that just goes to the
> Commands reference page instead.  There's a small link to the list of
> variables, sure, but maybe the list of variables belongs on that page
> too? (or it should link there as advertised, instead?)

Yes, I think I'll change text of the tool tip, since the commands help
page really should be the one linked, and the environment variables are
present in all shell contexts, so it needs to be on a separate page
(but I can make the link from the commands page at the top and more
prominent.)

> Also, why does selecting Help *from the Help menu,* while the commands
> window is open, mean that it goes to that page? [...]

That's a bug (which I was unaware of).

> Third, I'm not sure if it's my own font problems or not, but I've
> never noticed it any other place -- when I'm using any bitmap font the
> first character in a line has a larger gap between it and the next
> character.  You can see this in action here:

By default ATSUI uses the fractional glyph widths for advancement. I
*think* this might be the problem here (NSLayoutManager use rounded
numbers for glyph advancement).  It would be nice if you could send me
the font -- eventually I'll switch to NSLayoutManager font rendering,
but in the meantime I'll try to tweak ATSUI for optimal on-screen
display.

> Fourth, why is Page Up and Down moving the insertion point?  Can one
> change that at all?

Yes -- Help / Key Bindings tells how to make a local copy of the key
bindings file, this file contains:
     "\UF72C" = "movePageUp:";
     "\UF72D" = "movePageDown:";

Change these to:
     "\UF72C" = "scrollPageUp:";
     "\UF72D" = "scrollPageDown:";

And then it'll only move the scroll bar.

> And finally, I'm not really concerned with (s)ftp support myself since
> I prefer to use Transmit, but does anyone know how i can tell Transmit
> to make TextMate available in its list of external editors? Can that
> be done at all?

Probably Transmit should be able to download a copy of a document and
open it with TextMate (I'm not a Transmit user, so I can't say), but
TextMate doesn't (currently) support the BBEdit editor interface, so
saving the file from TextMate won't notify Transmit -- but we'll add
support for this interface in the future.

Kind regards Allan