[TextMate] My little remarks on TextMate - Encodings, CJK Characters, Ligatures

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Oct 7 21:19:23 UTC 2004

On 7. Oct 2004, at 22:32, Vincent Isambart wrote:

> First, I do not really care if the preferences are in there own dialog
> box or in the menus. [...]

Then it's settled -- we never will add it! ;)

> 'Re-open with encoding' is great but the encodings list is quite
> short. UTF-32 is not even there. [...]

True... this is "what I use" and figured we have iconv if more would
really be needed. But I'll look into allowing a more full list (with
some customizable filters to not clutter the menu/list)

> An other little problem I have is the drawing of CJK characters. These
> characters are wider than latin characters and as they are drawn today
> in TextMate, a character may overlap with the previous and next one.
> In terminals, this is generally handled by making them double-width.
> [...] If you want any screenshot, example, just ask.

I don't think I'll be on this one right away, but eventually it should
mimic how the Terminal does it -- at that time, I may request that
screenshot! :)

> For the ligatures problem, if it has not been corrected in the sources
> yet, it's quite easy to correct:

Thanks a lot! I've been looking real hard to find that info!

> [...] but as TextMate's goal is not seem to be a multi-lingual
> editor... (but it would be great if it could at least manage the CJK
> characters well ;-))

Yes to both. The goal for a first release was really just working with
code and markup in fixed width fonts.  Though eventually I would like
to make it into a full unicode conforming editor.

> Last thing: having a direct link to
> http://lists.macromates.com/mailman/listinfo or at least to the
> archives of the mailing list
> (http://one.textdrive.com/pipermail/textmate/) on TextMate's web page
> would really be great. I only found it after subscribing to the
> mailing list, in the mail asking for confirmation.

We do have a direct link to the archives (below the signup box), but it
wasn't initially there.

I'll see if we can't also add a link to the list info.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Kind regards Allan