[TextMate] Preferences window (was ProFont)

Sune Foldager cryo at diku.dk
Thu Oct 7 16:09:30 UTC 2004

On 7/10-2004, at 17:56, Ryan Platte wrote:
> I'm discouraged by this thread, I hope TextMate won't be another
> product whose developers think they know better than Apple's UI team
> AND negatively-surprised users.

Yes well... read these quotes from Allan, earlier in this thread:

I'm getting slapped with AHIG a lot, but no-one provides any quotes, so
here are some.

Regarding preferences in general:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
AppleSWDesign/UsingTechnologies/chapter_7_section_6.html

[...] avoid implementing all the preferences you can think of. Instead,
focus your preferences on the features users might really want to
modify.

A preference should be a setting that the user changes infrequently. If
a user might change the attributes of a feature many times in a work
session, avoid using preferences to set those attributes. Instead, give
the user modeless access to the controls for modifying that feature.
For example, you might implement the feature using a menu item or a
control in a palette or window.

[...]

Regarding the View menu, which I use for most options:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/
OSXHIGuidelines/XHIGMenus/chapter_7_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/
TP30000356/TPXREF148

The View menu provides commands that affect what users see in a window.
In the Finder, for example, the View menu contains commands for
displaying windows as columns, icons, or lists. Commands for showing,
hiding, and customizing a toolbar belong in the View menu [...]

<<<

Maybe YOU people should start comming up with some argumentative quotes
and references from the AHIG :-).

> Please, guys, don't make us argue the carefully-considered conventions
> of Mac software to you; we're potential customers who need software
> that fits us. You've created something that fits your needs and
> aesthetics, which is a great start. Now adapt it to suit your target
> audience (all of whom are Mac users, by the by) without ruining it for
> yourselves, and the world will have another piece of great software
> instead of another mediocre wanna-be.

Believe it or not, a _lot_ of people like the preferences the way they
are now.. I don't think you speak for the entire target audience, while
I do acknowledge that several people on this list have complained about
the lack of a prefs window.

> If you don't understand folks' objections to abandoning conventions
> from the Apple HIG, please explain why your way is an *improvement* --
> [...]

I believe Allans post and also previous posts from him and me explain
our argument well.

> What problem does this deviance from user expectations
> solve?

Deviance from _some_ users expectations. What it solves or rather why
it has been chosen is explained elsewhere, in Allans earlier post etc.

> Thanks for your great work so far.

Just a note: I am not speaking for Allan here, and I am not on the
payroll for Macromates. I am 'just' a friend of Allan.

--
Sune.
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"