[TextMate] Why is all the background colours dark ????

Brent Bourgoine brent.bourgoine at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 14:20:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:40:34 +0200, Sune Foldager <cryo at diku.dk> wrote:
> On 7/10-2004, at 14:34, Johan Sörensen wrote:
>
> > It's dark times these days! ;)
>
> Hehe... Yes maybe, but actually I like the dark (not black)
> backgrounds. Especially on C and C++, since it allows you to use both
> black and white as highlight colors for syntax :-).

Agree 100% (although I do most of my hacking in PHP and Perl ;P )

> > Personally I think that something like background/foreground colour
> > should be global and not per-language basis. But the syntax system
> > will apparently get some kind of overhaul in a Future Version™ I
> > believe...
>
> Yes but making those global can easily interfere with different
> languages. Of course if ALL your highlights use a black-on-white
> approach, maybe not... but then you want a teal background and some
> syntax highlight uses it as a foreground, etc. A more feasible
> approach, I think, is to make colors for syntax highlight in general
> more "global" in the sense that you can gather (named) colors in one
> place, and use them in all highlight bundles. I believe something like
> that (although not necessarily in that form) is on the idea-board for
> SyntaxHighlight-ng™.

What would be most useful for me, and seems to work out pretty well in
other apps is a set of "types" of text to get colored, and global
defaults for those types (this may be what you were getting at with
"(named) colors")  For example:

Default Background
Default Foreground
Comments
Constants
Variable names
Quoted Strings
Function/Subroutine names
etc...

...and then the syntax-highlight-definitions would call upon those types.

Now admittedly, some of those may not apply to all types of files, and
for certain types you might want to customize the colors on a
per-highlight-type basis, but it'd at least let people put in their
"preferred" base colors.

Was that what you were getting at, or were you talking about something
different?

-b3

--
Brent Bourgoine