[TextMate] Why there is no preferences window (was: Preferences window)

Sune Foldager cryo at diku.dk
Thu Oct 7 13:50:57 UTC 2004

[The following is not refering to the current version of TM; it's just
a general discussion.]

To break it down, you could say that there are four levels on which to
change settings:
1. Globally.
2. Per language.
3. Per project.
4. Per file or document.

...and two modes:
A. Permanent changes.
B. Temporary changes.

The_most flexible_ system would then be the ability to change on all
levels, in both modes. In pratice, this is probably not desirable as it
would bloat the interface almost no matter how it is done. I do agree
(but this is not necessarily the view of the TM author) that more
things should be changable on level 2 for instance, while I have less
use for levels 3 and 4 (but this is also a matter of taste). I think in
the future, some thought needs to go into this in this with respect to
future TM development.  It's always a balance of keeping it
simple/non-bloated but also giving you the possibilities you want.

Like Allan mentioned, I think in the long run a preferences system of
some kind (and maybe integrated with an editor for language
stuff/syntax highlight) is unavoidable. But that said, I really like
the ability to quickly change behaviour settings around like now :-).

--
Sune.
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"