[TextMate] Preferences window (was ProFont)

Johan Sörensen johans at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:05:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:53:53 +0100, Andrew Green <andrew at article7.co.uk> wrote:
> The trouble is -- what if you only wanted to change the font for the
> current document?  Perhaps I'd like to see the document I'm working on
> right now in a bigger font, or I'd like to treat tabs differently
> temporarily.  Under the current system, it ain't temporary.

and I think that is exactly the reason why people are so bothered by
this, usually in mac osx applications things in the menus only apply
to the current (document) window, not globally.
And I'm wondering what the HIG would say about this?

Personally I don't really have that much of a problem with it, apart
from the fact that i have to move past 3-5 menu items in the view menu
that I've only used once to change the wrapping for example. But hey,
if the developers feel this is the best thing since sliced bread, so
be it. UI wise I think its a step backwards, mainly because it breaks
usage patterns established by OSX.
I just don't hope they keep on adding more and more menu items when
the program grows in options, then TM would end up feeling
like..well... windows really...

-- johan