[TextMate] Feedback and feature requests

Kevin Hunt Kevin.Hunt at centropy.com
Wed Oct 6 19:01:57 UTC 2004

Hey Allan & David,
First, thanks for filling a major void in OSX land.  I've been using
UltraEdit on Windows for several years until I bought a Powerbook in August.
I love everything about OSX except the lack of a solid (and reasonably
priced) text editor.  Thanks to ditto, I think I found one.

So far I'm pleased with TextMate, though I haven't been able to use it much.
The single biggest problem I've found so far is that it seems to load files
entirely into memory.  Try loading a 100MB enterprise server log in TextMate
and you'll see it die while consuming megabyte after megabyte of memory.
UltraEdit by contrast only loads what it needs into memory, making it very
very fast while viewing and manipulating large files.  UltraEdit handles
GB-size files without breaking a sweat.  I think the only complication
around that is line numbering becomes slightly more involved.

The second feature I'm looking for is a hex view/edit/search&replace.  Being
able to locate and fix an invalid UTF-8 character sequence inside an XML
file that is causing my application to bomb has proven to be a critical
feature.  Hex search&replace comes in handy when I need to remove all 0x00
characters from a file, for example.

Finally -- and this should be the easy one -- please add a "count" button to
the search window.  Often I want to count the occurrences of a certain error
message in a log, or see how many things I'm about to change by
search&replace.

That's it (for now ;)  Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Kevin Hunt