[TextMate] Re: ftp-support

Tomas Jogin tomasj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 14:03:51 UTC 2004

> On 6.10.2004, space aliens observed Tomas Jogin saying:
> >I hope ftp-support is added soon, not just being able to edit a
> >remote file, but actually being able to associate a project with an
> >ftp account.
>
> Is there any reason why you don't use an actual FTP application for
> this? Interarchy has some awesome features for this kind of work. What I
> do right now is this: For each Project in TextMate, I have an FTP Disk
> in Interarchy. When I open a Project, I mount the FTP Disk. Whenever I
> change something in TextMate, it's being uploaded automatically to the
> FTP server.

The reason I don't want to use an actual FTP application is that I
don't want to incessantly switch between the editor and the
ftp-application. I just want to hit a shortcut key to upload the
document I'm currently editing and that's it. Often times, I have many
documents open at once, which reside in different directories. If I
used a separate FTP-application, not only would I have to switch to
it, but I'd also have to traverse to the right directory, on both the
server and the client, and then upload the file in question -- instead
of just hitting a keyboard shortcut in the editor and that's it.

The interarchy feature you mention sounds pretty nice, and in fact
I'll download Interarchy right now, because it does sound sweet, but
having it integrated with the editor would be even better. By the way,
something like that isn't possible with Transmit (which I currently
use), right?

Thanks for the tip on Interarchy, but the feature request still stands.  ;-)

Best regards,
Tomas Jogin